www.flickr.com

Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Tonight's the night!

Spider Robinson is a wonderful writer... He writes very poignant essays, and all sorts of science fiction. However, what he is best known for is his Callahan's series. Here's a short description, which I edited down from Wikipedia ;)

"Callahan's Place is a bar with strongly community-minded and empathic clientele.

The bar is run by Mike Callahan. The regulars are welcoming and willing to listen to any visitor's problems, no matter how strange, but do not snoop if a visitor is unwilling to share. Strange and unusual events and visitors turn up with frequency in the stories. Regulars at Callahan's include a talking dog, several extraterrestrials and time-travelers, a vampire, a couple of Irish mythological beings, and an obscenity-spewing parrot. The stories make heavy use of puns."

Well, tonight, Frogg and I are playing as Jake Stonebender and Fast Eddie Costigan (respectively) at the new virtual Place in Secondlife. I couldn't be more excited! If you haven't read the Callahan's series (especially The Callahan Chronicals) you are really missing out. I strongly suggest you follow the link and pick up a copy, because you won't be disappointed! Never have I wanted to be part of a group as there is in the Callahan's books.

To make the evening special, I splurged on a very old 21 year bottle of Bushmills Irish whiskey. I normally buy the cheaper 16 or 10 year versions, but I needed a good excuse to buy it, and a book about an Irish type bar is just the one I need.

Anyway, we play at 6:00 PM SL time, for two hours. I won't be looking like the cat tonight, as I have created a Fast Eddie avatar based on what I could glean of a description from the books. Frogg should be going as Jake, who is not a frog but looks remarkably like Frogg in real life.

3 Comments:

At 12/06/2006 4:26 PM, Blogger Jaycatt said...

Hi Erbo! Actually, Frogg's guitar in-world is really how his RL guitar looks. I'm not sure what Lady Sally McGee (Jake's guitar in the book series) looks like, but I think it's a bit more special.

 
At 12/06/2006 4:27 PM, Blogger Jaycatt said...

Yes, it went really well Reina! It was a lot of fun, if only to get to play and drink some wonderful whiskey at the same time :D Don't worry about missing shows, there's plenty to be found each week! ^^

 
At 12/12/2006 9:00 AM, Blogger Jaycatt said...

Oops, thanks Erbo... It's been a while since I read them, I gotta get back to it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home