www.flickr.com

Thursday, October 05, 2006

Yes, I'm a furry!

On Secondlife, I usually wear the avatar of a siamese cat, courtesy of Luskwood Creatures. As a little kid, I never cared much for cats, and preferred rabbits. I had an entourage of plushies I slept with, and eventually had the entire top bunk of my bunkbed all laid out with stuffed animals. Then, I got my nickname "Jaycatt". My first name is Jon, but I go by my middle name Marc. My father had a habit of calling me J. Marc. My family used to go camping a lot, and my father once mentioned that I had a habit of sneaking up on him quietly, like a cat. So he started calling me J. Cat. On one of the camping trips, we were at a hardware/grocery store on the Oregon coast called Coast to Coast, and they had a large display of "Johnny Cat" cat litter. He thought it was hilarious to dub me "Johnny Cat", and I fumed for the whole trip about it. After the trip, I still got called "J. Cat" but more in a funny way related to the litter. I despised it for years, until I needed a nickname for a BBS and was happy to have one. It's since grown on me, a lot, as you can tell! I still wasn't very fond of cats until I moved out of my parent's house and ended up with a pet cat found by one of my old roommates. Now, I love cats!

I never considered myself much of a furry person, until Secondlife. I was in a human avatar for about two days when I noticed that there were cat avatars to be had. What better way to use my nickname! I got one and started wearing it full time. Growing up, I was always interested in the anthropomorphic cartoon shows (even though my father called them "mindless cartoons" and ridiculed me for watching them). I eventually moved on to Tiny Toon Adventures, and after high school was enthralled by Animaniacs. I've always been a big fan of cartoons, and love anthropomorphic animals. Primarily because they remind me of the cartoons I enjoy, and plus they're just so kee-ute! Elmyra from Tiny Toons put it: "I love kittens, I love kitties, squeeze them all to itty-bitties!" I discovered the Lusk area soon after, and started hanging out there off and on, watching the avatars and chatting with the furs there. For the longest time, afraid of being typecast (or attracting what furs call "fursecution"), I would tell folks that I was just a guy in a cat suit. However, over the last few months from this writing, I have embraced my furry persona :D I've even started collecting furry comics, started thinking about going to conventions, and dreaming about one day owning a partial fursuit of my Jaycatt avatar. Hope that doesn't scare anyone off... I'm not into the sex thing (yiffing) in any virtual capacity, I just like the fuzzy wuzzies :D

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home